Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hugh: My Aussie Connection Part II

Hugh was so much fun to be with. Although I had an Australian friend in high school, I never really learned much about Australia, so I received a thorough education on the country and its people.

Foster's beer? Terrible stuff, he said.

Friday was a pretty mellow day--getting to know each other, and going to a bar where he had struck up a conversation with an Australian journalist the prior night. During the day on Saturday, we did the typical "tourist thing," hitting as many tourist sites as possible, hopping on and off a double-decker bus. It was great fun.

On our second night together, we hit the town. Hugh knew how to drink and party. We started out at a seafood restaurant. Of course we had to have lobster. And a before-dinner drink. And wine. And an after-dinner drink. I was surprised when the bill came out to over $250. We didn't even have dessert. I tried to remember the last time somebody spent $250 on a meal with me. Probably never. Dave loves to pull the "are you paying?" card with me. My Mom and Dad enjoyed fine dining when I was younger, but I was too young and naive to care about how much the meal cost.

After dinner, we walked through the mass of people, stopping to peek into shop windows, bars, and restaurants before settling on a noisy bar that had outdoor seating (with heaters) although it was March. We were both a little tipsy at that point. He looked adorable sitting across from me with a lock of hair hanging into his eye. I wanted to snap a shot of him with the phone on my camera, but decided against it.

On our return to the hotel, we were immediately out of our clothes and enjoyed each other's company. We stayed up until the early hours of the morning, talking and laughing.

Sunday we were up early--despite having only a few hours of sleep. He had a morning flight to catch back to Australia. As a parting gift, he gave me a beautiful necklace with a single pearl, as well as a necklace with an opal dragonfly.

I confess I had tears in my eyes as I watched him walk into the airport terminal.

An incredible man, an incredible lover, and an incredible weekend. Truly unforgettable.

I am *so* glad I have a friend who lets me "dog sit" so I can get away for these little trysts.

Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment