In this blog I have gone into detail about my 1.5 year relationship with Drake. A recent email exchange with a blogger friend made me realize that I have failed to explain the intricacies of my marriage. That is, I suppose, a (the?) missing link.
I am not here to vilify my husband, Dave. Contrary to what many may believe possible from a woman who cheats on her spouse...I love my husband. I have said this before. I am simply no longer *in* love with him. I think there's a strong distinction there.
Why don't I leave? I take comfort in the stability of my marriage. Of course we have ups and downs, but it has remained relatively stable. We have two incredibly wonderful children who still live with us and rely on us.
Dave and I met in a bar. I had barely turned twenty-one, he was a year older than I. He asked me to marry him three days later. Within a week I had an engagement ring. We had a separation for several months. I was four months pregnant when I walked down the aisle nearly eight months to the day after we met.
One of the few things we have in common: impulsiveness.
In the beginnig, sex was good. I remember the first time Dave kissed me. That kiss curled my toes! We were both fairly adventurous sexually, but that quickly changed once our firstborn came into the world. I was always exhausted and ready for bed by the end of the day; he, in turn, was fired up and ready to go out and party.
The first years of our marriage were tumultuous. Lots of fighting over minor, stupid stuff. There was the realization that we had created two children yet we had nothing else in common. We tried to pull together, but it was easier for us to go our own separate ways during our free time. It didn't help that I was struggling with a mental illness. He was addicted to porn.
Barely 3.5 years into our marriage I had a brief hook-up with a man I met online. I was a stay-at-home mom at the time. Dave was going out with friends nearly every night, leaving me home alone with our two children. I resented being so isolated and I turned to hot chatting and had several hook-ups with men I met online. This was long before the days of Ashley Madison.
I went for stretches of time where I "behaved" myself. It didn't make any difference in the marriage. Somewhere along the way we fell out of love. However, the marriage became less volatile. It was simply easier to go do our own thing than spend too much time together (although we did spend time together as a family).
Dave and I briefly separated after he found out about my affair with Tim. We reunited for the sake of our children, who were still quite young at the time.
After Tim and before Drake there was another series of affairs.
As far as I am aware, Dave has never cheated on me. I have no proof, though. I won't assume that he has cheated simply because I have. I don't even want to know. Dave is an extraverted insomniac who enjoys going to bars and 24-hour restaurants until all hours of the morning. We never go to bed together, we never wake up together.
These days, sex is practically non-existent. He goes to bed late, or falls asleep in his computer chair. We have tried short get-aways, but even those have failed to reignite a spark between us.
We are affectionate towards each other. I consider him a friend. He has always been supportive of me and I of him. The last thing in this world I would ever want to do is hurt him.
The past few days Dave has been making small attempts to get closer to me, but I am having a difficult time reciprocating. We haven't put each other as a priority for so long, it feels unnatural.
Dave is a good guy. He has never been physically or emotionally abusive toward me. He is a wonderful, caring dad.
The irony is that my husband and I are both very passionate people. It's surprising that we can't unite our passions.
It might be too late.
First off, the story of you and your husband Dave is remarkably similar to that of my mine and my wife. There has been infidelity in our relationship - her with other guys, me with other guys, but it is not an open relationship or anything like that. We are both in our late 40's and have two grown kids living on their own. We have done all the things required of us, but I just don't see a reason to divorce. We get along.
ReplyDeleteMy wife knows that if she ever had the need, she could easily have an affair and I would probably be oblivious to it. I work long hours and she doesn't work at all. Clearly, she has all the opportunity she needs.
If you need more emotionally and sexually, and yet you otherwise are being taken care of financially and not being abused, why wouldn't you simply continue to have affairs?
I would love to take the 2 men in my life and merge them into one ... to have the spark with the lover rejuvenated in the hubby would certainly make life simpler. Unfortunately life gets in the way at times - many of us women talk about how having kids takes away our libido for a while and when we rediscover it, we don't necessarily want to share that with our husbands. We want to feel sexy and desired again and the escape of an affair is certainly exciting.
ReplyDeleteTying to fix it here at home but I don't know if we will ever recapture those butterflies again.
Would you want to rekindle the passion with your husband or just remain in the status quo?
ReplyDeleteLuna,
ReplyDeleteThank you for that background. Too often we see the "unseen" spouse vilified. Don't get me wrong, it is an earned distinction some relationships.
Your comment on passion strikes home. In my own relationship, if SM had not rediscovered her passion after the kids and been understanding in my work induced absences or if I had given up hope on us rekindling the flame things could have been remarkably different.
I am a firm believer in "do what you have to do to stay same."
TTFN
Mr. No Name
@JF I think that is the direction I am headed. Staying in the marriage and continuing the affair. My greatest fear, though, is Dave finding out. Then my little house of cards will come tumbling down.
ReplyDelete@Wave Rider Yes, it is SO true! Having children, as wonderful as it is, really takes a lot out of you. I will admit that I wasn't nearly as amorous when the kids were young as I am now.
Good luck. I feel for you!
@Ponyboy Wow! That is a loaded question. To be honest, the emotional and sexual connection I have in my affair is so intense and I am having the best sex in my life. It's selfish of me, but I guess I want to have my cake and eat it, too!
@MNN Yes. Sanity is of great importance to me! You and SM are SO lucky that you were able to weather some difficult times together. I really envy that.
Sorry didn't mean for it to be loaded, just something that I was curious about.
ReplyDeleteAdult relationships are complicated.
Your post hits home. I too am like you. I have been married for 15 years, love my wife but am not in love. Have had several affairs (in one now for two years). Have two kids. Don't want to hurt her or the kids. We get along basically but don't have much in common. I'm the party guy she's the stay at home TV watcher. I need more than that but don't want to leave. Thanks for sharing your story. I read your post and said, "Me." "Me." "Me." as I read through it. Good luck with everything. You sound like a great person. You have passion and are trying to express it. That's all.
ReplyDelete@Ponyboy No need to apologize! I appreciate challenging questions. :-)
ReplyDelete@Roger Thanks. That is what I love about blogging and reading what other people have to say. There are so many moments when I read someone else's experience and it really resonates. It's always nice to know you're not alone!