Around this time of year I usually start fantastizing about moving to a city with a more moderate temp. This often occurs when I am standing in knee-deep snow, a heavy down jacket over my gym clothes, scraping ice off of my windshield at 5am.
So far, however, this winter has been an exception. We have had only two minor snowfalls as opposed to the three blizzards we had several years ago. A few days ago, it was a balmy 67 degrees. I know this weather will be short-lived. I can't help but imagine myself back in California.
I was born in northern California, but I spent only a few years there before taking off on an odyssey with my family (due to my Dad's career) that took us all over the world. My nomadic childhood explains why I have been able to easily adapt to any environment. But my patience for cold and snow is wearing thin.
I miss living in a city without snow and ice. I spent three years in college/university in southern California. At one college I attended we were known as "the horny whores on the hill." I used to smuggle my boyfriend onto the campus in the trunk of my car in order to bypass the watchful eyes of the security guard.
I'm not certain whether I miss the weather or I simply miss my single, uncomplicated life back then.
When I was five years old, my ten-year-old sister and I would plan an attack on my parents' bedroom every Saturday morning in hopes of rousing my Dad from sleep. We would jump on the bed until my Dad grudgingly pulled our allowances out of his money clip.
We always headed straight down to our local 7-11. I still remember all the tantalizing penny candy: Sour balls, Mary Janes, Jujubes, Dots, candy necklaces, Bazooka gum, caramels, Tootsie Rolls, lollipops, Necco Wafers, Bit-O-Honey, licorice, candy buttons, and fireballs.
As a five-year-old kid, I learned to work my money in order to get the optimum amount of candy.
My penny candy experience has made me reflect on how wonderful it would be to pick and choose traits to create the "perfect" man (for me, that is).
What a wonderful world that would be.


I felt compelled to weigh in on the snow and ice shit. As a life long New Englander, I've not gained any love for the snow in all these years either. The only thing the snow makes better is the scenery, it does make for some great photos.
ReplyDeleteI happily enjoying the mild temps like yourself and hope they keep up for you too.
The house two doors up from me is adorable and for sale. Shall I tell them to hold it for you?
ReplyDeleteOh, the selling point? It's 74f outside today.....
@W The snow does create beauty! Even the birds are confused by this weather, they are singing this morning...an unusual occurrence in early February!
ReplyDelete@A-54 Such temptation. I'll move *only* if you promise to show me your trampoline.
I know what you mean about leaving the city, cold and winter ~
ReplyDelete