| Who wouldn't love this face? |
I've been thinking about dogs recently. A lot.
Boxers, to be exact.
I have heard that they're intelligent, confident, good-natured, energetic, a bit goofy at times, and they usually get along well with other animals (we have two older cats).
All the qualities you could possibly want in a dog.
They're also loyal.
I was raised to believe that a pet is a lifelong commitment. You are obligated to provide them with a "forever home." All the dogs and cats that I have been fortunate to have as companions in my life have lived with me until their last breath.
I always thought I would adopt an older, shelter dog. Now that I work from home, I have the ability to devote time and attention to a puppy. We live near two dog parks; socializing with other dogs would never be an issue.
I think there are several things going on here.
First, my youngest son turned eighteen yesterday. The day before his birthday, I advised him to enjoy his last day of childhood. I told him that he will need to register with the Selective Service, he will be able to register to vote, but he still won't be able to drink. Legally, that is. He laughed.
Although both sons live at home, I am feeling early pangs of empty nest syndrome.
Bringing a dog into the mix would fill a certain need.
Secondly, I wouldn't even consider bringing home a puppy if I wasn't certain that I was going to stay in my marriage.
Yeah, there's definitely something going on here.
I like to live by a quote I once saw:
ReplyDelete"I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am"
Used it on AM once but no reply.
Boxers are great dogs and an excellent choice. I had one who passed a few years ago and have not had the courage to get another yet. But they are absolutely loyal companions.
ReplyDeleteSeems like no matter what goes on in your life, the sweet face of a dog would brighten your day! I really wanted a "dog", but of a very different breed.
ReplyDelete@Ryan Awww. It's a great line! I would have responded. :-)
ReplyDelete@W I'm happy to hear that. It is a move I probably won't make immediately, but hopefully within the next year. I completely understand regarding how difficult it is to take on a new pet after one has died.
@Sassy Too true! I hear ya! ;-)
I have an Australian Shepherd and a cat and life is sweet. They get along so well. The Aussie is fantastic for going on walks. He sets a really good pace, he's protective so I can go through a green space where sometimes no one else is around. In the house the cat and dog play and cuddle, too. It is so dang cute.
ReplyDeletePetunia, I've heard good things about Aussies--especially that they need to be kept busy and love getting out to walk! It sounds like you have a great combo.
ReplyDelete