Due to some health issues, I have decided to revamp my diet. As much as I appreciate and respect modern medicine, I am tired of doctors handing me prescriptions for medications that have a multitude of side effects. I do not want to be the victim of a "fatal event." I am hoping to regulate my monthly cycle, stabilize my mood without medications, ward off conditions that could result from a recurring bout with Lyme disease, and simply get a better night's sleep.
I have been tearing up the Internet searching for vegan and vegetarian recipes. I combed Whole Foods for gluten-free and dairy-free products they don't sell at more "common" grocery stores. I already take a handful of vitamins with my morning shake that provides me with additional vitamins as well as minerals and trace minerals. I have added a few vitamins to the mix.
I need to cut out my beloved beer. I am going to switch to wine for awhile. Not that I'm a heavy drinker, anyway. I will cut out processed foods and refined sugar as much as humanly possible. Aspartame and Splenda are out. Truvia is in.
Goodbye, Starbucks and my grande soy latte.
I will enjoy some dark chocolate on occasion.
I need change in my life and this is a good start.

Balance is the big thing here. You can have a slice of pizza but you can't over do-it! But those Super Foods on that plate look good. Food is fuel and make you feel great or really bad. If you love it, it will love you back!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with the life changes. Make sure someone is watching your moods if you are going off meds. It is hard to be subjective about our own moods. I suspect Drake will take care of that.
ReplyDeleteTTFN
Mr. No Name
Along with diet, its aways a GREAT idea to keep a detailed....I MEAN DETAILED journal. It will help you see exactly how your foods are affecting your body.
ReplyDeleteBe sure you keep track of things like your cycle, your bowel movements, the state of your hair, nails, and skin. You'll start noticing differences pretty quickly, and when you read back, you'll see HUGE differences.
@Ryan - I know you're a foodie and you're right about balance!
ReplyDelete@MNN - Thanks. Yes, Drake has alredy told me he doesn't want me off my meds yet. He is keeping track of me. :-)
@Jen - Awesome idea. Thanks!
Good luck on the new approach. I'm not sure how you are on dairy, but the Coffee Bean makes a killer dark chocolate cocoa that has been keeping me warm the past few mornings.
ReplyDelete