Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Is That a Boy or a Girl?

My grandmother was a private duty RN back in the 70's for a woman who did not particularly care for men with long hair. When they would pass by a long-haired male, the woman would say loudly, "Is that a boy or a girl?"

One of Yahoo's current top stories involves a couple who has raised their child gender neutral. Literally. Very few people knew Sasha's gender (male) until it was time to register the kid for school.

The decision to conceal their child's sex was based on wanting to avoid all types of stereotyping.

The one thing I don't understand is that the couple seem to have encouraged the child's feminine side, but not his masculine side. For example, allowing him to wear a shiny pink girl's swimsuit and sending the picture to friends and disallowing shirts with skulls and cargo pants. How neutral is that?

Kids have it tough as it is. Why do parents need to turn their kids into social experiments?

I will admit that I shied away from guns when I was a young parent and initially banned toy guns from our home. Not surprisingly, my oldest son managed to make gun shapes out of sticks, bread, and Legos. I eventually changed the rules and both of my sons became huge GI Joe fans. We even bought several Barbies and they became GI Janes.

What I find odd is that one of Sasha's parents says that she is "open to her son pursuing any career or sexual preference he chooses as he matures."

Open to "choosing" his sexual preference?

Really?

I believe that we shouldn't force our children to play with toys not of their choosing or wear clothes not to their liking. However, I think this couple took things a bit too far.

Hopefully the kid will turn out all right.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about the discomfort with turning your kids into social experiments. As if navigating these issues as a young person isn't hard enough....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If gender and orientation are inherent traits, than dressing them as a girl for 5 years is abuse. They have taken their own gender discomfort and applied it to their kid, if I was in their area, I'd get Sasha to a good attorney quick.

    ReplyDelete