Thursday, January 19, 2012
I Know You're Out There!
Sometimes friendships give you--for lack of a better phrase--the warm fuzzies.
This particular person I'm speaking of would probably puke at the knowledge that I am referring to him as a wam and fuzzy guy. But he is. He is an awesome friend and the only person I know IRL who has access to this blog. Even though Drake is aware that I am blogging, I have never given him any details.
My friend's name is Hank. (Hank, if you're reading this, I hope you appreciate why I decided to call you Hank!) He and I met online back in 1994 when AOL dominated, although we met on a smaller service called Delphi. We had a very intense relationship over a significant period of time. I even reached the point of calling Hank my soulmate.
It was never an overtly sexual friendship, but a friendship based on a meeting of the minds. If anything, I would love to fuck his brain! He is a brilliant guy.
Hank lived in California and I lived in Colorado when we decided to meet in Denver. Hank had a small business proposal for my husband, so our families actually met. I thought the initial meeting went well, until I called Hank at his hotel to see whether he would be interested in meeting for a bite to eat.
His response, which I remember like it was yesterday, was: "My wife told me that if I see you again, she will leave me." Granted, his wife was pregnant and hormonal, but I wasn't about to break up Hank's marriage!
The friendship ended.
Fast forward to late 2010.
I was on Facebook, typing in the names of friends I had lost touch with. Hank has an unusual last name, so I typed it in and he popped up on the screen. I was ecstatic! I couldn't believe that I had found him all these years later.
I sent him a tentative message on Facebook; he replied and gave me his personal email address.
After all those years of not communicating, we have managed to breathe life back into out friendship. We email each other regularly. Like me, he has a dark side--which I find terribly intriguing. He has a brilliant mind and I feel fortunate to have him as a friend. He recently told me "you being a point of light in my dark isolation is always something to hold on to."
Mind you, I feel like a pretty ordinary gal with a few quirks, but he makes me feel extraordinarily special!
I could go on and on, but he knows how wonderful he is and how much he means to me. So I'll end here.
It's just a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Sorry, Hank!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Luna,
ReplyDeleteHold on tightly to friends like Hank. We all need people who make us feel special - and you are a special person.
TTFN
Mr. No Name
Warm and Fuzzy is a great description, even for us guys who see ourselves as tough and cool and above it all. in the end, we all want to be a little bit cuddly.
ReplyDeleteNice post.
How nice that you could find each other again.
ReplyDelete