Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Ten Things About Me

1. I love too deeply.

2. Bipolar I disorder is just another word for the Manic-Depressive illness I was diagnosed with twenty years ago.

3. I have been hospitalized more times than I care to remember.

4. At least thirty rounds of ECT (shock therapy) is all I can remember...having electrodes hooked up to my head to induce a seizure to "cure" my mania or depression.

5. I love spiders.

6. I occasionally drink too much.

7. I am an Atheist although I prefer the word Humanist.

8. I walk a fine line between sanity and insanity.

9. I hate confrontation.

10. I prefer cats over dogs.

Bonus: I am a train wreck waiting to happen.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes. I worry about you being a potential train wreck. I know you said it didn't work out with your psychotherapist, but have you heard about cognitive behavioral therapy? If not, you might want to look into it because it is when a counselor, usually a psychologist, helps you learn to recognize your detrimental thought patterns so you can catch yourself when you are starting to slip into one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Petunia. I am familiar with CBT. I am perhaps more familiar with Albert Ellis' methods. I have several of his books (although he died several years ago). One concept I can relate to is "awfulizing." Wherein you pessimistically generalize something to an exaggerated extreme. I really should look into CBT. If only I didn't have such a high medical insurance deductible... Thanks again for your concern. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mental health coverage has changed recently. You should check into your coverage because lots of times it is separated out from your medical and just has a co-pay per visit.

    ReplyDelete