Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The "N" Word

No. Not *that* one.

The *other* "N" word.

N. For needy.

I have always feared appearing needy. I was raised to be strong and confident and appearing needy is unattractive and undesirable.

Still. I have found myself wondeirng whether I appear needy to Drake. Or needy to others.

Anytime I find myself giving off just a hint of neediness, I back off.

Drake and I were out for drinks last week. He mentioned that he wanted to get to the gym. I was a bit tipsy and in an amorous mood and wanted him to join me in the back of his SUV.

He told me that he couldn't. He really needed to get to the gym.

I pushed a bit more.

"I have a life!" He laughed.

It didn't bother me that he said that.

Until today.

I was thinking about whether I am turning into an attention whore. I get so little attention from my husband, maybe I am craving attention from Drake and looking needy.

Here is a portion of today's email exchange.

Me: Do you think I'm needy? With you? In general?

D: No, but it's a good discussion point.

Me: I was going to say that if you think I'm too needy, I can back off...we can see each other less often.

D: Not what I want.

Me: Neither do I.







4 comments:

  1. It's good to be aware of how you come across. Neediness can be a real turn-off, but it sounds like you were just a little buzzed and frisky. No harm no foul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Good to check in now and then! I ask once in a while how things are going with him and his wife. This time I also asked how we are doing - is he thinking "I wish she'd..." or "I wish she'd stop..." He came back with "Don't change a thing." Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. A reality check is good. As long as I don't start obsessively asking him if I'm being needy! lol Then I'll start looking insecure, and I don't want that either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes feel the same way. I know this past week I have come across as very needy. Not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete