Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fooled Around and Fell In Love

I never expected an Elvin Bishop song to become my theme song.

I chatted online with Drake last night. We talked business for awhile.

"That isn't why you're here," he said after five minutes of chatting about Business X.

"I saw you online and I wanted to say hello. No agenda, " I replied.

I told him I was feeling blue. He asked why. I knew he knew, but he wanted me to tell him.

I told him that I was confused. I wasn't certain where my life was going. I needed more direction.

He replied that he would help me. He has been suggesting a two-year plan I should set into place to get me on my own feet and away from my husband, Dave.

Then what? Dave is all I have known my adult life. I have a fear of being alone and lonely. In 43 years, I have only spent one year living alone.

He told me I'm a terrific person and that I would find a wonderful partner. I told him that, in two years, the only man I will want will be him.

It took him awhile to reply. He said, "I might be too old for you!"

I knew he was trying to lighten the conversation, but it didn't help.

We chatted a bit longer. I know he has a sexless marriage, but he does have three teenage sons and he adores them.

After we signed off, I went to bed. I woke up a few hours later and sent him an email. A stupid email that I shouldn't have sent. A test to see how he really feels about me:

I think it would be easier to say goodbye to you now...before I feel the full sting of unrequited love. But I suppose I am a sucker for punishment and I will stay until I just can't bear it any longer.

His reply:

It isn't unrequited.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog ... really enjoying reading it. I completely related to this post (as well as others). Hard when we fall in love with our lovers. I am happy to hear that it isn't unrequited but it does sound like Drake is committed to staying in his marriage. Enjoy the moments ... let's hope the happiness outweighs the tortured times when we feel down and want MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I didn't go into this relationship expecting to fall as deeply as I have for him. But I have and I am at the point of no return. I try to stay realistic, but it is difficult! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete