Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Monkey Wrench



The monkey wrench.

My husband always manages to throw a monkey wrench into my plans.

I've been grousing the past few days...weeks...years...about how awful my marriage is and how it isn't working. I start contemplating my escape, pricing apartments, figuring how much money I would need to live on in this expensive area I live in (and I have no plans on leaving!).

Then the monkey wrench.

My husband and oldest son recently joined an R&B band. They are the only non-African-Americans in the eight-member band. But my husband and son have got soul. Where did it come from? My husband once sang in a gospel choir. My son listened to a lot of rap and R&B in high school. He even went through a phase of letting his pants hang low.

Last night was the first night they played out together and I was there.

I have to admit, they sounded truly awesome. I was impressed. The food at the restaurant was pricey, but awesome! I had a few glasses of wine, sat back, and enjoyed the music. About a dozen of my son's friends were there, which was pretty cool. When my son stepped up to the microphone to sing, most of his friends jumped up and took pictures and recorded him singing.

And I'm so sick of love songs,
So tired of tears,
So done with wishing you were still here
(Ne-Yo)

My husband told me at least a half-dozen times how thrilled he was that I was there. He introduced me to several of the band members and they said, "Oh, you're beautiful wife." Yes, I blushed.

And the band thanked my for letting them "borrow" my husband and son for two nights a week.

When we woke up this morning, my husband and I talked about the music, the band, the sound.They were truly awesome. He was thrilled it went so well.

In the kitchen, he took me in his arms and told me he loved me and, again, how happy he was that I went. He told me that things are looking up. He wants to save money for a trip to Europe (where we met) for our 25th wedding anniversary (about 2.5 years away).

He told me he loved me.

(oops)
There goes the dreams we used to say
(oops)
There goes the time we spent away
(oops)
There goes the love I had but you cheated on me
And thats for that now

(oops)
There goes the house we made a home
(oops)
There goes you'll never leave me alone
For all the lies you told
This is what you owe

(Blu Cantrell)

8 comments:

  1. yay europe! I hope you go and have a wonderful anniversary holiday together falling in love all over again. which shouldn't be difficult since you've had so much practice all this time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest concern is that we take this vacation and have a great time...but everything settles back into the status quo once we return!

      Delete
  2. Maybe someting changed in you. Maybe you looked more beautiful, reacted to the situation differently because you had taken those few steps towards even contemplating your freedom. Maybe you'll never leave, who knows, but maybe something lit inside you to think about it, maybe something good about you came back to you and everyone felt it, including your husband.

    Breakin up is hard to do. You'll probably never get the exact right time and circumstance to make that easy. But maybe you've reclaimed something that will help you make the right decision.

    Maybe he'll be a total douche tomorrow. It still won't be easy but I think you let some light in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hat! I was wearing a hat that night. He even commented several times on how much he liked the hat. Hmmm. It must be a magical hat.

      You're right, though. I think I did let some light in. I didn't see him much Saturday--I had an amazing afternoon with Drake on Saturday. Such is life!

      Delete
  3. You, more than most, know that the world is not black and white. It is ok to enjoy the moment with your husband and enjoy what you have with Drake. No one is forcing a choice today. Live in the moment and your path will reveal itself...maybe ;)

    TTFN
    Mr. No Name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You're so right. Until this life I lead causes me so much grief that I have to decide...I must admit that I'm content with the way things are (contrary to what I might write at times!).

      Delete
  4. i like this story. i want u and hubby to have a happy life as well as u n drake happy as well

    ReplyDelete