Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Suck it up, Sally

I live in a prosperous county.

I'm not bragging. Our income barely skims the median household income for this county. Eight counties in the top fifteen counties with the highest per capita income in the US are within an hour's drive from where I live.

We have been fortunate. Although we were hit by the downturn in the economy, Dave and I managed to hang onto our jobs. We both work for businesses that haven't felt the sting many others have.

We're fortunate to live in a wealthy, highly educated metropolitan area.

With disturbing regularity, however, I have been noticing more and more people standing at busy intersections asking for money. They usually hold signs written on cardboard, stating that they are homeless (or nearly homeless)...have children...need work...need money.

Some stand at these intersections with their children. Some standing at these intersections are barely out of childhood themselves. Some are severely disabled and can barely walk.

I know. I know. I've heard that some of these people make hundreds of dollars a day, that they're feeding an addiction, faking a disability or veteran status, that they're too lazy to work.

If this is the case for the majority of the people I see, then perhaps they should pursue acting careers.

My gut, though, tells me this isn't the case for many of the people I see come and go at busy intersections throughout my county.

I hold two volunteer positions through a non-profit and I'm aware of the wealth of resources available to county residents.

I have lived in and traveled to developing countries. I spent two years living in one of the poorest countries in the world.

Basically, I've seen it all.

Call me a bleeding-heart liberal, but it pains me to see human suffering where it shouldn't exist. We owe it to ourselves to bring out the best in others. Everyone deserves a chance.

When I start to bitch and complain about some out-of-control issue in my life, I often stop and reflect on the lives of others who are less fortunate than I. I have bookshelves filled with books that serve as reminders that life, despite its injustices, is worth living.

6 comments:

  1. It's funny, I was on YouTube last night looking at clips from the town my dad grew up in. It's in literally one of the top 10 poorest counties in the country and now he lives in one of the richest. I guess you have to persevere but it is in fact unfortunate to know that he was afford opportunities and access to a better life that I am not sure is available to people today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right. I look at my own kids--who are now young adults. The oldest is struggling to find a job that pays well--and he just graduated from college. The youngest is looking for his first job and he is discovering that most places want experience. He *thought* he had been hired somewhere, but it turned out to be a dead end.

    Even looking at my own life, my mom and dad were much better off at my age than I currently am. It is discouraging. As a young adult, I just assumed that I would do at least as well--if not better--than my folks!

    I truly worry about the current generation of young adults, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luna,

    Most of us grew up with parents who worked hard "to make a better life for us.". By and large, it worked. Now, I think we are faced with a generation who will be VERY lucky id they have it as good as their parents did. Jobs are supposed to skyrocket as the Baby Boomers begin to retire, but it seems to me that the cost of living is not matching the payscales being offered.

    I have begun, in a very general way, looking for a job to keep me in Miami, but i figure I need to make at least $120K to maintain my staus quo (pension, healthcare, schooling, etc). Those jobs don't come easily anymore.


    TTFN
    Mr. No Name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Cost of living/pay is no longer comparable. Recently, I have been very alarmed by the the amount I spend at the grocery store and how little I walk out with.

      Good luck with your job search. I know how much you love Miami. Hopefully you'll have luck finding a job that will keep you there!

      Delete
  4. Great topic Luna.

    The current generation of young adults will have a whole different landscape to navigate. The last 20 years or so has all been about growth and consumption.

    It may not be quite like that again for another 20 years, and the way they were brought up and the way they witnessed their parents consume may not be as viable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drake and I always lament how our kids have felt *entitled* to certain things: a laptop, a mobile phone, etc. I was content having a landline and TV in my bedroom when I was in junior high school! As technology changes, the younger generation wants to keep in lockstep with the newest developments. At *our* expense! While I appreciate that they are the generation who will eventually be developing our newest gadgets, it comes at a price!

      Delete