Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Who's Afraid?



"I swear...if you existed, I'd divorce you!"

This line, delivered by a drunken Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) to her henpecked husband, George (Richard Burton) in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf always makes me catch my breath.

My marriage is troubled and can be difficult at times...but there are certainly others out there who have it *much* worse than I do!

6 comments:

  1. Fortunately or unfortunately, you can always find someone else to make your situation look tolerable. The opposite holds true, ther is always someone who seems to have it better.

    TTFN
    Mr. No Name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along those lines I always like Tom Hanks' quote in A League of Their Own: "Rogers Hornsby was my manager, and he called me a talking pile of pigshit. And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play the game. And did I cry?"

    Sometimes I think you need to figure out a way for there to be no crying in marriage because if you take things too personally it can just get real bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm..taking things too personally.

      I am just numb.

      Delete
  3. I have come to find that this is such a personal choice. One person can and will tolerate so much more than the next. There was a time that I fought not to divorce my husband. I felt that if I had the perfect lover things would be better...and they were for a while. I then became intolerant of the rest of the shit that my husband dolled out and so...I am now the Elizabeth Taylor of my home town. Soon to be divorced for the second time but knowing that in time that label will be gone and my life will be just that...MY life once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, that is a really good point. How much can we tolerate from our spouse before it becomes intolerable? I try to balance the annoying crap that I put up with from my husband with the wonderful side of life I get when I'm with Drake. I wonder how long I'll be able to continue tolerating the annoying crap??

      It sounds as though you are handling things really well. You deserve to have your life and if it takes two marriages to figure that out...that's your business and no one else's.

      Delete