When my husband and I split up (for about three months) nine years ago, I lost my wedding band in the process.
Well...
I'm lying.
It was "misplaced" when I hurled it across the room as I walked out the front door.
When Dave and I reunited, the wedding band couldn't be found.
So we purchased a new band.
Here's the weird part.
For the past few months, on nearly a nightly basis, the most bizarre thing has been happening. I will be drifting off to sleep when I suddenly startle awake and I find my right hand groping desperately for my left hand, in search of my wedding band. Once I find my band, I lie there, my heart feeling as though it is about to pound out of my chest. I am in such an intense state of anxiety, I am certain that I am going to have a panic attack.
I'm sure Freud would have had a field day...
I think it's guilt over "losing" the ring and nothing more.
ReplyDeleteIf you were groping over to the other side of the bed to make sure Dave was still there, that would be something else entirely.
I would be curious to know how you interpret this?
ReplyDelete~shoes~
Hmmm. How do I interpret it? On one hand, I think it represents an underlying guilt that I have about my affair...my lack of fidelity to my husband. On the other hand, I like My Affair With Ashley's interpretation: It's just guilt over losing the ring.
ReplyDeleteI suppose I could also see it as a relief that I am still married...or perhaps a rush of disappointment that I *am* still married.
Geez. I just don't know!
Screw the interpretation. It is what it is.
ReplyDeleteI say that, but you know me, I would be analyzing myself to death :)
TTFN
Mr. No Name
Mrs. AP gave me a ring our first Yule together. If I take it off now, even just to wash my hands, my anxiety level shoots through the roof. I feel incomplete without it. Your episodes could stem from any number of things, really. I'd just be happy that both hands and all fingers are there. You need those, especially when "handling" a guy or two... ;-)
ReplyDeleteStay SINful
Mr. AP
interesting
ReplyDeleteFunny, but both hubby and I don't wear wedding rings anymore ~ They are safely in the jewelry box ~
ReplyDeleteAnd remember that your dream is about you....only you know yourself, and what it means to you ~